The spouse of the veterans serve the disabled veterans and face hardship also when the veterans defend the country in the war. Losing a spouse is so awful for the wife. The veterans’ Affairs department offers several benefits for the widows of veterans. Windows of the veteran that marry after the death of husband to another veteran can also qualify for the benefits.
Healthcare benefits, death benefits, education benefits, financial assistance and more are providing to the veteran’s surviving spouse.
What are the Dependency and Indemnity Compensation Benefits?
DIC Benefits for Widows 2022
Dependency and indemnity benefits are provided to the survivors of the disabled veterans who died on duty or died due to a service-connected disability. It is a tax-free benefit. These benefits are delivered to the survivors of disabled veterans or dead veterans on monthly basis.
Disabled veteran’s widow
The VA benefits for widows has criteria in place to determine who an extant spouse is Like every other program, DIC also has certain criteria that widows must meet to get the benefits. The requirements for VA widow benefits are as follows:
To get the benefits for widows some requirements must be met otherwise widows are not eligible for benefits. VA has the criteria requirements which are below:
- A disabled veteran’s widow must have married a veteran who died on duty, active duty preparation, or inactive duty training
- Widow has married the deceased Veteran
- Widow has been married to the veteran at least 1 year before the veteran’s death
- Widows had a child and lived with the veteran for some time
- The surviving spouse has matrimonial a veteran who died because of a service-connected disease.
Widow pension benefits Detail ( VA widows pension )
Veteran survivors can apply for the military widow pension and get a tax-free pension that is called a death pension or survivors pension. Survivors’ pensions need to meet some requirements for eligibility. Deceased military members must meet the following requirement:
- For service, the military member served a minimum of 90 days of active military once-over
- After the joining of active duty, the Veteran needs a service of a total of 24 months or the full period for which ordered to active duty with a minimum of one day through a wartime period.
- The veteran must be discharged from service but not due to the disgraceful conditions.
Widow Pension Eligibility requirements
Surviving spouses need the following requirements for widow pension eligibility
- The income of the spouse of a dead military member must be less than the income limit that is in the pension rate list of the survivor.
- The widow’s net merit must meet the limit set for the surviving spouse and must be unmarried. If we’re remarried after the veteran passed and the marriage ended, this requirement does not apply. The net merit of the widow must meet the limit set and the widow not married after the death of the veterans.
- For the pension of the veterans after their death, the children may also be eligible for pension.
What is the Assisted Living Facility for Widows?
It is the long-term care for the widow of the military member that we can say is a residential facility. The main purpose of the assisted living facility is to provide a safe and comfortable environment for widows who can not live by themselves.
Before providing the assisted living facility, a medical assessment is conducted for widows to check, what type of care they will need. The apartment provided to the widows will be 1 room or up to 3 rooms. Apartments giving to the widows according to the needs of the widows.
How much Military spouse Benefits get After Death?
The VA burial allowance is remunerated at a flat rate. The main purpose of providing this allowance is to cover the cover burial and death cost according to federal law. Also, it will cover the headstone and gravesite expenses. After the notification of the death of the veteran, this benefit is provided to the eligible surviving spouse.
How much time take to get VA benefits for survivors?
Survivors of the veterans get dependency and indemnity compensation after their death which is the most valuable benefit. Those survivors who are eligible for DIC can get up to 10,000 dollars per year without paying tax.
Veteran’s spouse assistance of $1280 and $2940 gets through this program that depending on the pay grade of the veteran. Parent of the deceased veteran is also eligible for this benefit if their income is below the poverty threshold level.
To get the DIC benefit, dependent of the disabled veterans need to apply first then they can get benefits from the government. If they apply after 1 year of the death of veterans then they get only from that applying that but not the previous benefit.
VA Health Care Benefits for Widows
The civilian Health and Medical program offered by the veterans affairs department gives the VA health care benefits to the eligible survivors of the veterans. It offers the many health care services which are necessary for the dependence of the veterans. It depends on the service-connected disability of the veteran.
VA’s Spina Bifida health care program also offers the health care coverage the veteran’s childern and veterans of the Korean war who diagnosed with spina bifida disease.